We finished decorating our Christmas tree this weekend and with the holiday scent of pine in the air and Frank Sinatra crooning Christmas carols, the only thing left was the warm aroma of gingerbread baking in the oven. I happen to love gingerbread and have tried many recipes but this is by far the best for a tasty cookie. It is not quite as hard as some recipes so it won't work for a house (and won't break your teeth) but it makes the most delectable gingerbread men that can easily be decorated with royal icing.
2 2/3 c flour (reserving 1 2/3 c)
1/3 c molasses
1/3 c brown sugar
1/3 c butter
1/3 tsp salt
1/3 tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp each of ginger, cloves, cinnamon, allspice
powdered sugar and enough water to make a paste
|Mise en place|
Mise en place - Measuring and setting out all ingredients on a cookie sheet helps you not to forget ingredients and makes putting a recipe together much simpler once you get started.
Molasses/Honey - Rather than scraping your measuring cup for 5 minutes to get it all out, rub a little canola oil on the inside of the cup before measuring and it will come our easily.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Reserve 1 2/3 c flour
- Beat all remaining ingredients on low until smooth
- Slowly incorporate the rest of the flour until stiff smooth dough forms
- Roll out dough on a floured surface
- Cut out gingerbread men with cookie cutters
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until brown on the bottom
- Allow to cool before icing
- When I'm too lazy to wash icing bags, I pour icing into a ziploc bag and cut the corner
- Place the bag inside a cup to make filling easier
- Push icing into one corner and then twirl the top so it doesn't go up when you squeeze
- Decorate your men with icing and festive sprinkles